An introduction to preparing returns with TaxWise
The contents of this page are currently in development - Things will change frequently.
[Note you may need to manually refresh (F5 / Ctrl-R) to get the latest version.]
Testers/Reviewers are encouraged to check out the materials here and report comments to Al@TaxPrep4Free.org.
|10-20-2015||FAM-30 Intake Sheet||Discussion of the IRS mandated Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet (Form 13614-C)|
|10-20-2015||FAM-42 Familiarization Form Lookup Tool||Shows which TWO form/worksheet to use to input information from the IRS Intake Sheet and various tax documents used in the Familiarization problems|
|10-08-2015||FAM-61 General Information for all FAM Problems||
Important Instructions and Notes that apply to all Familiarization problems.
Please have this handy when working on any of the individual problems.
- FAM-00 Brown - Scenario / Refund Monitor / ScreenShots / Printed - Include 2014 distribution on 8880(Thanks Neil)
- FAM-06 Barufkin - Intake Sheet / ScreenShots - Change DOB for TP & SP (Thanks Carol)
- FAM-00 Brown - ScreenShots - email was in wrong box on Main Info (Thanks Jim)
- FAM-05 McCook - Refund Monitor - Fixed NJ 39 amounts on page 2 (Thanks Michael)
- FAM-00 Brown - ScreenShots, Printed Return - fix 1040 Wkt2 entry (Thanks Carol)
- FAM-42 Familiarization Form Lookup Tool - added to Student Resources
- FAM-30 Intake Sheet - added to Student Resources
- FAM-61 General Information - - renamed
- FAM-00 Brown - Scenario - Fix Interview Notes wording; Uncheck box on 1099-R
- FAM-00 Brown - Refund Monitor - Clarify / Improve wording in several places; Fix amounts from Step 15 on (Thanks Harry, Gale)
- FAM-00 Brown - Printed Return & ScreenShots - changed due to above
- FAM-00 Brown - Scenario - Fix Box 14 for 2nd W-2 (Thanks John)
- FAM-00 Brown - ScreenShots available
- FAM-01 Anderson through FAM-08 Rosemont - Various minor changes - no impact on Refund Monitor numbers
- FAM-00 Brown - Major changes to include all stuff used in other problems
- FAM-00 Brown - fixed Screenshot mixup (Thanks Carol)
- 10-14-2015 - Initial (Testing) release. (Big thanks to Harry Bonfanti for his efforts to update the problems for yet another year!)
What's new relative to last year:
- The Interview Notes that were previously repeated in each Scenario have been put in a separate document. This document also includes some general TWO hints and shortcuts.
- There is a new problem (Brown) which is intended to be used as an introduction to TaxWise. It contains all tax forms and TWO quirks which occur in the eight Familiarization problems. We would expect it would be done live with new students so they can see everything at least once before they have to do problems on their own.
- The Intake Sheet pages are no longer included in the Scenario files. This should make printing easier and use less paper when things change.
- The Refund Monitors are now designed to be printed. This should make them look better. The format is improved, but the ScreenShot links are no longer in the Refund Monitor.
- There is a new razzle-dazzle TWO-like ScreenShot viewer which should encourage students to use these more often as a way to trobleshoot and check their work.